Saturday, January 7, 2012

Steel and Sun

It's time for me and the husby to get serious and intentional about designing and styling the nursery.  Our vision is industrial chic (steel gray) meets a sunny (yellow) cottage country disposition.  Our goal is to make a chic, comfortable, whimsical room that feels like an extension of our home.  We are avoiding baby pastels of any sort, and we're proud of it!!

The elements of the design concept thus far:
-eye-level wainscoting in steel gray with understated picture rail
-creamy warm yellow on wall above bead board
-espresso crib
-my antique dresser with new fun knobs for the changing table
-a contemporary clean-lined slate gray ultra-suede glider with gray knit ottoman pouf

Today I'm taking intentional time to compile what pieces are inspiring my design at this stage of the game.  Our plan for this month is to put up wide set bead-board about 2/3 of the way up the wall with a small molding ledge that pictures can lean on.

Sort of like this, but with wide bead-board as the paneling (next image):

photo credit

Our plan is to paint the wainscoting a slate gray and the space above in a sunny yellow.  Finding the right colors will be difficult.  But, I found a masculine yet understated yellow and gray plaid crib skirt.  I will pull the colors from the fabric.
link to item 
My original inspiration was found while shopping with my mom in Carson Pirie Scott (part of the Bon Ton Stores chain in Chicagoland).  This pillow will sit out our rocker:

Other small pieces we've found are developing the touches and accents that will balance the strong background the wainscoting establishes.  I love mixing monochromatic patterns, so I'm not afraid of gray polka dots, zig zags and patterns that will meld into the color scheme and help the room feel whimsical:
link to item
link to item
The last two items we are using in our inspiration/collection stage are to contrast the boxy feel of the dresser and the glider.  We found this light fixture for $70 at World Market, and we're mulling it over [I'm waiting to see if it goes on sale].  If we use it, I'd like to hang it pretty low.  I think its Morrocan feel could partner well with the ottoman pouf.  And, the metal makes it masculine enough for our little man.  We'll need a lamp, too, as I'm all about ambient light. 

And because part of our look is a sunny disposition, let's not forget the fun accents of yellow.  I think we'll use this to hold something on the changing table.  For only $6 at Hobby Lobby!  It's geometric and pretty, and  I love tulips.  I think I'll put fresh tulips in the room in April when we're awaiting his arrival.

I'll put together a vision board within the next few weeks, and we'll have fun nesting!  The rug and the curtains are a mystery as of today.  I have a few ideas, but we'll see what comes to me.

I love creating atmospheres, and what a better reason to make a new space feel beautiful and free?  The boy to be!

What's your favorite color scheme these days?

May you have eyes to see the beauty. --Meg Tess

No comments:

Post a Comment