Sunday, November 13, 2011

past small little prickly past fears-- pie crust


I have never made a pie crust from scratch.  Mostly because I just thought it wouldn't turn out well.  And, because I ran out of time and skimped on the crust.  I bought store bought crust, rolled it out, and walah!, a mediocre pie!

Last night we had four couples over for one of our first real dinner parties.  We were a great team, and even though time was crunched in the hour before guests arrived, this time I prioritized.  We had purchased a lovely large glass jar of strawberry rhubarb pie filling when we were in Door County.  Being the food hoarder I am (mostly with specialty items... I save them for so long we forget about them or they go bad), I waited until last night to make the planned pie.
It was a success!  I used my friend Sarah's pie crust recipe, and with my kitchen-aid mixer and strong resolve to push past this weird little prickly past fear, I was a successful pie maker!  The crust was thick and delectable.  And our guests really liked the pie!  I added leaf cut-outs along the rim and in the middle in a little flower application.  Using a simple crumble topping made of brown sugar, flower, and butter, I created the perfect textures for the filling.  And it didn't burn!  And I liked it myself!

Good bye to stupid little limits we set on ourselves.  What are your prickly past fears that YOU have foraged through?

May you have eyes to see the beauty. -- Meg Tess

No comments:

Post a Comment