Monday, June 13, 2011

Bound for Beauty Summer List

Years ago, in a session with my awesome counselor, she told me to rip up my new year's resolution lists.  I had been keeping them for years.  I would start my year by making a long (really long) list of things I wanted to do/become.  Well, this lady is smart.  Perfectionists don't need lists, they need to LOWER expectations.  After years of lowering expectations and being more gentle with myself, I've decided to make a list of things that will reveal or create beauty to fight the perfectionism.  My regimine of blogging every day will bring more light into my fight against false beauty.  I'm ready to dig in: why is beauty so important to me?  What's the big deal?  Well, through my ONE BEAUTY BLOG A DAY list, I'll show you.
Here it is!  I'm a teacher, and there are exactly 68 days of summer break left.  Will it work out that I do one each day?  (Nope.)  I hope so!
1.       Visit shops in uptown Naperville
2.        Walk the Naperville Riverwalk
3.        Walk the Naperville Prairie Trail {where does it start?!}
4.        Exercise every other day
5.        Meet Evangeline Cadia
6.        Create my craft closet
7.        Re-design/Re-focus blog
8.        Help Sue design her wedding
9.        Buy plants for gardening
10.   Go to West Side Story
11.    Plant flower boxes
12.    Hang curtains in family room and guest bedroom
13.    Create an original turkey burger recipe
14.    Have Makayla over
15.   Bring treats to the neighbors
16.    Bake and ice a layer cake
17.   Have a Fourth of July Freedom Party
18.    Fix antique leaf desk and laquer it to put it outside
19.    Collect old wood chairs at garage sales and ad to al fresco dining area outside
20.    Go to Door County
21.    Have an al fresco soiree
22.    Write a poem
23.    Write a song with Trev
24.    Write a story
25.    Create frame montage in stairwell
26.    Create a chalkboard wall
27.    Visit Grandma Elaine
28.    Clean the porch windows
29.    Make collaborative list of recommended books
30.    Go to Sweet Maple Café
31.    Read A Thousand Splendid Suns out loud with husby
32.    Go to the beach
33.    Get a sassy haircut
34.   Make homemade birthday and anniversary cards
35.   Go to 7 Eleven on 7/11 for our anniversary
36.    Get training to become a better journalism teacher
37.    Create a substantial ipod list of songs I actually like
38.    Get a facial
39.    Go for a bike ride
40.   Plant a hydrangea bush
41.    Get a crazy good salad from Whole Foods
42.    Go to Ravinia
43.    Go to a taping of Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me
44.   Go to Nadeau Furniture
45.   Learn to play the guitar
46.    Take a picnic
47.    Style Trevor’s Office
48.    Hang the huge sample Crate and Barrel print
49.    Enjoy our church’s Flame of Love conference
50.    Work a shift at Feed My Starving Children (FMSC)
51 through 68.  Teach Summer School (this counts for 18 days!)

I'm bound for beauty!  Happy Summer!

2 comments:

  1. Love the list, Megan- we are so alike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan - it's been too long! Greg and I would love to be a part of your Ravinia or Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me plans, if you would like some company! Let's make it a priority to make that happen!!!

    I miss you and Trevor!!

    Love you! Kathy

    ReplyDelete